Monday, November 06, 2006

Still Thinking (ouch)

So after tonight's discussion about ethics, advertising, and whatnot with blogs, I happened to wander over to my guilty pleasure Penny Arcade. For today's post/comic he brought up an issue that resonated with me not only because of the class, but because of my interest in publishing, which I hope to go into. He touches upon a poor review for a specific video game posted to a prominent gaming website, its subsequent pull, and the effect that it had on the editors. It made me think about the evolution of media and technology, and what would have happened if the article just came out in old fashioned print form. Never having read that magazine, odds are that I never would have heard about the review controversy, or even the game. But in the blogosphere, not only can I learn about all that, I can hear about the editorial process and response in a timely and direct manner that I'm less accustomed to hearing from a corporate-type production. Jeff Green's blog on the matter, and the subsequent responses, creates a really interesting account of how a journalistic 'my-bad' turned into a blogger conversation on editing, deleting, and apologizing.

1 comment:

Printer's Devil said...

intresting. glad to see you posting more. you seem to be saying that the transparency of process on the 'net sometimes comepnsates for the lack of widely embrased standards. but of course, that transparency kind of comes and goes, at the whims of bloggers.